Update to BCP-38?

Stephen Satchell list at satchell.net
Thu Oct 3 16:12:54 UTC 2019

On 10/3/19 8:42 AM, Fred Baker wrote:

>> On Oct 3, 2019, at 9:51 AM, Stephen Satchell <list at satchell.net> wrote:
>>
>> Someone else mentioned that "IPv6 has been around for 25 years, and why
>> is it taking so long for everyone to adopt it?"  I present as evidence
>> the lack of a formally-released requirements RFC for IPv6.  It suggests
>> that the "science" of IPv6 is not "settled" yet.  That puts the
>> deployment of IPv6 in the category of "experiment" and not "production".
>
> And, of course, we now have companies like T-Mobile and others
> turning IPv4 off. If that's an experiment, wow.
The cellular data industry appears to have embraced IPv6 in one form or
another.  I would expect that the network engineers have done some work
to keep IPv4 off their *internal* networks, but provide IPv4 access at
the edge.  (Isn't a netblock within IPv6 intended to enable bridging to
IPv4?)  The applications on the phon could be configured to search DNS
for AAAA addresses first.

My AT&T cell phone has both IPv4 and IPv6 addresses.  The IPv4 address
is from my access point; the IPv6 address appears to be a public address.

I would like to move to IPv6.  I just don't want to shoot myself in the
foot, or cause trouble for other people, by being sure my edge router
"follows all the rules."