IPv6 Pain Experiment

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.us
Thu Oct 3 00:49:27 UTC 2019

On 10/2/19 3:03 PM, Naslund, Steve wrote:
> The next largest hurdle is trying to explain to your server guys that
> you are going to go with all dynamically assigned addressing now

Completely false, but a very common misconception. There is nothing
about IPv6 that prevents you from assigning static addresses.

> and
> explaining to your system admin that can’t get a net mask in v4 figured
> out, how to configure their systems for IPv6.

If they only need an outbound connection, they probably don't need any
configuration. The instructions for assigning a static address for
inbound connections vary by OS, but I've seen a lot of them, and none of
them are more than 10 lines long.

Regarding the previous comments about all the drama of adding DNS
records, etc.; that is what IPAM systems are for. If you're small enough
that you don't need an IPAM for IPv4, you almost certainly don't for IPv6.

IPv6 is different, but it's not any more difficult to learn than IPv4.
(You weren't born understanding IPv4 either.)

Doug