IPv6 Thought Experiment

Justin Streiner streinerj at gmail.com
Wed Oct 2 21:27:27 UTC 2019

I suspect that even if there was an entity with the reach to impose such a
tax, people will resort to deploying CGN more, to hide their IPv4 usage to
the extent possible.  That's time, money, and effort taken away from moving
to IPv6.

You might also find that many taxed organizations will simply ignore the
tax or refuse to pay it, under the assumption that the taxing entity
doesn't have standing to impose such taxes.  Someone from Russia is likely
to take a tax notice from, say, some agency in the USA and toss it in the
circular file :)

As others have said, threatening the Internet community with punitive
action is a sure way to discourage people from adopting IPv6.  While the
pace of adoption might not be acceptable to some, everyone has to move at
their own pace, or vote with their wallets where possible.

Thank you
jms