IPv6 Thought Experiment

Nick Hilliard nick at foobar.org
Wed Oct 2 21:04:09 UTC 2019

Antonios Chariton wrote on 02/10/2019 17:33:
> What if, globally, and starting at January 1st, 2020, someone (imagine a
> government or similar, but with global reach) imposed an IPv4 tax. For
> every IPv4 address on the Global Internet Routing Table, you had to pay
> a tax. Let’s assume that this can be imposed, must be paid, and cannot
> be avoided using some loophole. Let’s say that this tax would be $2, and
> it would double, every 3 or 6 months.

Interesting idea.  Let's say it started off at $2 / month and doubled
every 3 months.  At the end of month 12, it would be $32/month.  After 5
years, we'd be talking about just over $2 million per IP address per
month, i.e. a little over half a billion dollars per /24.  In 10 years,
that would increase to 562 trillion dollars per month for a /24.

Soon, you'd be talking about real money.

Please let me know if you wish to push ahead with this idea and I'll
humbly offer to act as middle-man for taxation for a very simple and
modest 1% of all transaction fees, or 0.94% if you can guarantee an
exclusive deal.  Serious replies only please.

Nick