IPv6 Thought Experiment

Naslund, Steve SNaslund at medline.com
Wed Oct 2 17:25:38 UTC 2019

It's certainly financial but it's not just companies being cheap. For example for smaller companies with a limited staff and small margins. They may want to have v6 everywhere but lack the resources to do it. It would for certain speed up the process but there would be collateral damage in the process.

Here is the question being dealt with in the corporate environment.  Why should I prioritize moving everything to IPv6 now instead of my other zillion IT projects that actually are visible to my customers and business users?  It is simply, almost always, a cost benefit question.  I would have to convince the company that it is in their financial best interest to go that route.  I think over time the migration happens organically as more people are familiar with v6 and all the equipment and setup schemes start using v6 as the default.  I would be hard pressed to come up with a reason for a hard deadline.  Making life easier for NANOG engineers is not high on most corporate priority lists ☺

Steven Naslund
Chicago IL