This DNS over HTTP thing

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Wed Oct 2 17:24:09 UTC 2019

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Livingood, Jason" <Jason_Livingood at comcast.com>

> The challenge of course is that in the absence of a silver bullet solution, that
> people working to combat all forms of child exploitation are simultaneously
> trying several things, ranging from going to the source as you suggest and
> arresting people, to trying to interrupt the online tools that they may use or
> that might fund/support them, etc.  So they don’t approach it as a binary
> choice between trying these ecosystem measures vs going to the source – they
> are working all the levers.
>
> It is unfortunately a very difficult problem. FWIW, a recent NYT article on this
> was interesting – see
> https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/09/28/us/child-sex-abuse.html Headline
> is “The Internet Is Overrun With Images of Child Sexual Abuse. What Went Wrong?
> Online predators create and share the illegal material, which is increasingly
> cloaked by technology. Tech companies, the government and the authorities are
> no match.”

Ah yes; the "proxies for evil" problem.

Same problem as "getting the guns" (to quote President Andrew Shepard) as a
solution for mass shootings.  (And note here that I'm a lefty; we're not
*required* to be gun-negative paranoids.)

Child molesters also make use of houses, vans, and phonecams, so lets get all
of *those* off the streets, too.

Tools are *inherently* neutral, regardless of how partisans on either side want
to paint them; even lockpicks -- or haven't you had to call a locksmith to get
you back into your car/house without breaking a window.

Tools. Are. Neutral.

Any solution to a problem that involves outlawing or breaking tools will.
Not. Solve. Your. Problem.

Cheers,
-- jra