IPv6 Thought Experiment

Naslund, Steve SNaslund at medline.com
Wed Oct 2 17:19:15 UTC 2019

A few thoughts:

1.      What global organization has the ability to impose a tax on any nation’s citizens?

2.      Do you not see an issue with making everyone worldwide get rid of every device that supports v4?  Kind of a burden for a developing country, no?  Also, a bit of an e-waste problem I would think.

3.      Do you think that any organization with the power to tax some Internet usage (like v6) will stop there and not figure a way of continuing the cash flow forever?

4.      The FCC and other standardization organizations often have statutory authority to manage things like spectrum management and consumer safety.  What would be their authority to mandate v6 usage?

5.      Why not just get carriers to make v4 service an optional extra just like static address requests?  There is no reason to empower government more than they already are.  Simple economic pressure would work.

6.      Why is your issue more important than any other so-called global issue like carbon taxes, endangered species, human trafficking, etc?  Do you want to go to a world government to encourage adoption of IPv6?  Why should anyone care about that other than us engineers working under the hood

7.      If someone like say Botswana says we are not paying your tax, do you intend to send in UN Peacekeeping Forces to collect the money owed?  Are we going to war with North Korean if they won’t let us check their routers for the presence of v4 addresses?

8.      What is the economic or social reasoning behind obsoleting ipV6?  Is this really an existential global issue or are you just inconvenienced by dealing with both address families?  While we think it a big deal here on NANOG, do you really think that the public sees that issue somewhere in their top 20 priorities?  I doubt it.

9.      Some world government enforcing global network standard migrations?  What could possibly go wrong there ☺.  Do permanent UN Security Council members retain the right to veto these standards?

10.   I think at one time the US Government demanded POSIX compliance for all of their systems.  That did not even work on the scale of the US Government managing their own systems.  Why would this work any better?  Governments are notoriously bad at managing their own IT systems, I don’t think we want them managing all of ours as well.

Steven Naslund
Chicago IL