This DNS over HTTP thing

Ca By cb.list6 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 1 13:35:10 UTC 2019

On Mon, Sep 30, 2019 at 7:27 PM Jay R. Ashworth <jra at baylink.com> wrote:

> I've been embroiled in my first house-move in 28 years, and just got back
> to the table.  I don't see any threads here about whatever this
> thing-which-
> appears-to-me-to-be-a-monstrosity; has it been discussed here and I missed
> it?
>
> Is there an official name for it I should be searching for?
>
> Is it in fact not a monstrosity, and I'm just not smart enough?  :-)

Oof. It is a bit of a mess.

1. For most PEOPLE in North America, DNS hacking, clear text dns is not a
legit threat in their threat model.  So, in short, encrypted dns is not
solving a major hacker vector. It is not materially making the web more
secure since on-path attacks from hackers are hard. Spare me the coffee
shop wifi case.  It’s definitely not an issue on mobile.

2.  For GOOGLE (And it’s minions Cloudflare, which GOOG owns a chunk of,
and Firefox [which is dominantly funded by GOOG] — data is key in their
billion dollars ad game.

3. The billion dollar ad game has heated up. FB and Amazon are becoming a
real threat to Google’s dollars.  Apple too, is a threat with their focus
on apps.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/fortune.com/2019/06/25/amazon-ad-business/amp/

4. GOOG tracks you all around the web with their ad platform.  But GOOG
cannot see what you do when you are on FB, Amazon, Apple..: because these
companies are enemies fighting over the same ad bucks.  Your computer will
leak to GOOG what / when you do thing on FB and Amazon

5. To make the world better, Google needs to see ALL your traffic, not just
their ad network cookie traffic.  Hence they launched these efforts

1. Chrome with a FREE proxy for all your traffic
https://developer.chrome.com/multidevice/data-compression

2. Android with a FREE vpn

https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/6327199?hl=en

3. Google Fiber

4. 8.8.8.8

5.  AMP for websites

6. Gmail

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2019/5/17/18629789/google-purchase-history-gmail-email-receipts

But these things were not really getting into enough high end Apple hands,
there was a dark spot in their view of all the Apple traffic.  Also, some
telcos had ham-fisted  attempts to be ad business (vz bought yahoo, aol,
and tumbr...), but Google wanted to further ice them out. Who needs another
competitor for all your data, right ?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2019/09/06/google-receives-demand-documents-doj-acknowledging-federal-antitrust-scrutiny/%3foutputType=amp

So:

6. Using it’s “paid friends” Cloudflare and Mozilla, as it usually does,
Google pushes them over the cliff to be the canaries and test public
reaction to centralize more of your data and normalize the google data
grab... and hiding that data from competitors. Google pushes firefox and
cloudflare in to the public ... just like they did with centralize dns
(1.1.1.1) and funny vpns that are not VPNs
https://twitter.com/notdan/status/1178339685795598336?s=21 , they now want
to make chrome and firefox DoH by default. Why?  Because 1 they want all
your data 2 they can, they control the browser and dont need to coordinate
with anyone else to do it (unlike DoT)

Ps. Yes, i know i sent AMP links from my gmail account, this is my real
world internet experience.