This DNS over HTTP thing

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Tue Oct 1 13:32:23 UTC 2019

> On Oct 1, 2019, at 9:22 AM, Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer at nic.fr> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Oct 01, 2019 at 12:11:32PM +0200,
> Jeroen Massar <jeroen at massar.ch> wrote
> a message of 101 lines which said:
>
>> - Using a centralized/forced-upon DNS service (be that over DoT/DoH
>> or even plain old Do53
>
> Yes, but people using a public DNS resolver (of a big US corporation)
> over UDP is quite an old thing and nobody complained. I really wonder
> why there was so little reaction against OpenDNS or Google Public DNS
> and suddently a lot of outcry against DoH…

I get people not wanting to use 8.8.8.8 1.1.1.1 4.2.2.1 or even their local DNS resolver because various people have tried to treat it as a revenue stream at times.  There needs to be more middle ground here than people have drawn with their battle lines.

>> Noting that many ISPs are deploying both DoT and DoH next to Do53.
>
> Fact-checking: could you name some? (I do not know even one.)

I’ve gone and enabled DoTLS on my server and (wow, the number is finally non-zero!) haven’t seen a lot of TLS adoption.  I see a lot more IPv6 than TLS at my authority server.

num.edns=433691276
num.ednserr=96
num.udp=299934993
num.udp6=154946379