This DNS over HTTP thing

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Tue Oct 1 13:22:12 UTC 2019

On Tue, Oct 01, 2019 at 12:11:32PM +0200,
 Jeroen Massar <jeroen at massar.ch> wrote
 a message of 101 lines which said:

>  - Using a centralized/forced-upon DNS service (be that over DoT/DoH
>  or even plain old Do53

Yes, but people using a public DNS resolver (of a big US corporation)
over UDP is quite an old thing and nobody complained. I really wonder
why there was so little reaction against OpenDNS or Google Public DNS
and suddently a lot of outcry against DoH...

> You might also want to look into this amazing thing called Tor if
> you really want privacy.

I know it, and use it and it is awfully slow. Telling to people who
want privacy that they need to adopt the difficult and costly (in
performance) solutions made for iranian opponents won't help to
improve security.

> Noting that many ISPs are deploying both DoT and DoH next to Do53.

Fact-checking: could you name some? (I do not know even one.)