RIPE our of IPv4

Ca By cb.list6 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 30 16:45:09 UTC 2019

On Sat, Nov 30, 2019 at 8:06 AM Brian Knight <ml at knight-networks.com> wrote:

> On Nov 29, 2019, at 5:28 PM, Mike Hammett <nanog at ics-il.net> wrote:
>

> "So if they do care about IPv6 connectivity, they haven’t communicated
> that to us."
>
> Nor will they, but that doesn't mean IPv6 isn't important.
>

> Personally, I don’t disagree. We engineers do what we can to support IPv6:
> We build it into our tooling and switch it on in our gear. Our network is
> dual stack v4/v6 and has been for quite a while. But with other tools we
> don’t control, and particularly in terms of business process, we have a
> ways to go, and it’s not a priority.
>
> I want IPv6 to succeed, really.  But the global end game picture looks
> more and more bleak to me.

I can see how your situation is bleak

That said, google see nearly 40% of their traffic on  ipv6 in the usa ,
growth trend looks strong

https://www.google.com/intl/en/ipv6/statistics.html

And

Comcast (71%), Charter (52%), VZ (85%),  ATT (60 and 78%) , and T-Mobile
(95%) have the majority of their subs on ipv6

https://www.worldipv6launch.org/measurements/

Sadly, ipv6 is creating a bifurcation of the internet.  Scale shops have
v6, and non-scale shops don’t. The big players are pulling away, and that
makes things bleak for the folks just trying to tread water in ipv4.