Disney+ Streaming

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Fri Nov 29 17:00:49 UTC 2019

On 29/Nov/19 14:42, Brandon Butterworth wrote:

> Bringing this back on charter, how many different CDN appliances
> will we need to host for all these VoD providers? I'm just as
> guilty there having made our own CDN for the BBC (as well as using
> commercial ones).

This is one of the practical issues we are having to consider with this
VoD provider fragmentation.

>From experience, CDN's prefer on-net caches to peering/public caches,
and just about all of them are building away from the Akamai's of the world.

We, for example, host a number of CDN clusters at our CLS's along the
Eastern and Southern African coastline. As some of you may remember the
recent discussions on CLS's vs. data centres for co-lo, it presents a
real problem when trying to meet scale, and you want as much content
on-continent for your eyeballs as you can get.

Mark.