Disney+ Streaming

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Fri Nov 29 16:57:24 UTC 2019

On 29/Nov/19 15:13, Keith Medcalf wrote:

> There are quite a lot of places where you can buy DRM free lossless
> audio files ranging in quality from CD (44.1 kHz/16-bit/2 channel) all
> the way up to 192 kHz/32-bit/5.1 channel and beyond.  These are
> basically CDs (or better) without the physical CD media and packaging.
> There are also streaming services that stream in "CD" quality (lossless
> 44.1kHz/16-bit) or better, if you prefer that model (and can live with
> the fleeting availability of the content).  There are even a few record
> companies (as long as you do not want an American one) that will sell
> you their entire collection of digital studio masters in lossless DRM
> free format.

This is true.

On Beatport and Traxsource, you can buy WAV files, which are basically
lossless formats encoded at a 1.411Mbps bit-rate.

They are just marginally more expensive than MP3's (which are of
high-quality also, encoded at 320Kbps).

I normally play WAV files at large sound stages (15,000+ people),
otherwise, 320Kbps MP3 or 256Kbps AAC is just fine.

> There is not, however, and equivalent for Video -- it is presently stuck
> at the "compressed all to ratshit" video and audio level -- unless you
> buy physical media and extract the data yourself.

Which is the reason I had a huge BD budget 2014 - 2016.

I don't subscribe to Netflix's UHD plan, as my 4K TV does all the
heavy-lifting of upscaling 1080p streams, but it's good enough that I
haven't had the urge to buy a BD in 3 years.

Mark.