RIPE our of IPv4

Brian Knight ml at knight-networks.com
Fri Nov 29 16:29:17 UTC 2019

> On Nov 27, 2019, at 4:04 PM, Mark Andrews <marka at isc.org> wrote:
>

>> On 28 Nov 2019, at 06:08, Brian Knight <ml at knight-networks.com> wrote:
>>
>>> On 2019-11-26 17:11, Ca By wrote:
>>
>> [snip]
>>> I see....well let me translate it you MBA-eese for you:
>>> FANG deployed ipv6 nearly 10 years ago. Since deploying ipv6, the cohort
>>> experienced 300% CAGR. Also, everything is mobile, and all mobile providers
>>> in the usa offer ipv6 by default in most cases. Latency! Scale! As your
>>> company launches its digital transformation iot 2020 virtualization
>>> container initiatives, ipv6 will be an integral part of staying relevant on
>>> the blockchain.  Also, FANG did it nearly 10 years ago.  Big content and
>>> big eyeballs are on ipv6, ipv4 is a winnowing longtail of irrelevance and
>>> iot botnets.
>>
>> None of which matters a damn to almost all of my business eyeball customers.  They can still get from our network to 100% of all Internet content & services via IPv4 in 2019.
>
> No you can’t.  You can’t reach the machine I’m typing on via IPv4 and it is ON THE INTERNET.  It is directly reachable via IPv6.  Selling Internet connectivity without IPv6 should be considered fraud these days.  Don’t
> you believe in “Truth in Advertising”?

I had meant to write “They can still get from our network to 100% of all Internet content and services that matter to them [our customers] via IPv4...”

0% of my IPv4-only customers have opened tickets saying they cannot reach some service that is only IPv6 accessible. So if they do care about IPv6 connectivity, they haven’t communicated that to us.

> Mark Andrews, ISC
> PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742              INTERNET: marka at isc.org

Thanks,

-Brian