Disney+ Streaming

Michael Thomas mike at mtcc.com
Thu Nov 28 22:51:29 UTC 2019

Back in the old days, we had the ultimate in unbundling: you walked up,
got a ticket, and watched the movie.

In principle it wouldn't be that hard these days to do something similar
with a tremendous reduction in friction. Basically pay-per-view on
steroids.

My sense is that it would be tremendous failure though: how would a
consumer know how to value different content? Going to a movie is
comparatively a big commitment with plenty of time to decide if you
think it's worth it. Channel surfing, not so much. So maybe we are
doomed to some sort of bundling.

The big problem is that I don't want to pay for a month of content to
watch one or two shows. And I definitely don't want to pay a month's
worth of content to three dozen providers of which i may only watch a
few of their programs a couple of times a month. Now if you reduced that
to, say, a day pass I might bite, especially if there was no more
friction than the usual channel surfing.

Mike