HPE SAS Solid State Drives - Critical Firmware Upgrade Required

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Thu Nov 28 07:51:35 UTC 2019

On Thu, 28 Nov 2019 at 01:25, Paul Nash <paul at nashnetworks.ca> wrote:

> I’ve been bitten by these sorts of issues before, so I tend to swap one OEM drive in every RAID-1 pair with a retail drive from (if possible) a different vendor.  When I re-purpose servers, I try to use drives from two different vendors in each array.  That way, if a drive barfs for any intrinsic reason, things keep working.

I think the problem here is that it adds complexity, cost, may impact
support thus contracts and it's not clear if it has saved you any
outage. It becomes belief engineering. I think more useful would have
been to figure out how you can replace that device with data in the
shortest possible window, to cover every unexpected failure mode with
smallest possible outage.

--
  ++ytti