RIPE our of IPv4

Scott Weeks surfer at mauigateway.com
Tue Nov 26 23:46:30 UTC 2019

Top posting...

---------------------------------
:: But it is not that simple in the real corporate world.
:: Execs have bonus targets.

Why would an exec care?  Ipv6 is just normal work like ipv4.
---------------------------------

No, you have to make purchases and have folks across the
company do work to get everything going.  Refocusing folks
work on deploying IPv6 to *everything* (rather than, say,
getting that shiny new Nokia 7750 deployed so we can sell
more services) costs money.  Ancient boxen are out here
and don't support aye pee vee six well or at all.  Getting
ones that do costs money.  Training lower level folks takes
them away from their current work and costs money.  Etc.

::> - Modifying old (ancient) internal code;
:: Ancient in 2019 means what? Is this code not in security
:: compliance ?

I recently started back with a company after being gone nine
years.  My code was still running and no one in neteng had
the knowledge of how to do anything with it much less to try
to write in IPv6 sections.  To take an SA and look into the
networking code I wrote takes them away from things they
need to do to sell services.  That costs money.

What Sabri wrote hit home here.  Folks are not looking into
it and will wait until forced to do so.  Then said companies
will be behind the ball in a big way, but that it what it is
here and in the other companies I worked for.

A lot of this read to me as flippant.  You don't seem to be
willing to listen to those of us out here on the raggedy
edges. I've said what Sabri said at least a few times on this
list.

scott