virginia beach

Ben Cannon ben at 6by7.net
Tue Nov 26 16:47:04 UTC 2019

Remember that a CLS serves 2 purposes simultaneously.

1. Convert the wet plant to dry plant and provide 11kv power for ILAs.
2. Act as an OTN node and CO to distribute connectivity into the Territory/Nation.

Historically, you put a CLS on the beach itself, and it’s somewhat remote.

Then you backhaul to a dozen COs/CNDCs.

Nowadays however, the CLS is looked at more like an ILA shelter, or when feasible cable landings are going directly into metro CNDCs as the physical gear is getting smaller and smaller and more suitable for colocation.

There’s still the small matter of 11,000volts of power or more…  That’s usually kept out towards the sea.

-Ben Cannon
CEO 6x7 Networks & 6x7 Telecom, LLC
ben at 6by7.net <mailto:ben at 6by7.net>