Landing Stations used as datacenter

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Tue Nov 26 10:43:40 UTC 2019

On 15/Nov/19 04:58, Mehmet Akcin wrote:

> Hey there
>
> I have been putting my thoughts on Infrapedia blog and sharing with
> folks like
>
> https://www.infrapedia.com/post/top20cities-datacenters
>
> I am working on a new article and this time my topic will be looking
> at cable landing stations(cls). Do you consider cable landing stations
> as a datacenter? Do you have any experience deploying a pop in CLS?
> Are you able to share (on or off record) your experience which I can
> refer as your experience (good or bad) why deploying a pop inside a
> CLS is good or bad idea. Any additional comments..
>
> I am not a big fan of CLS deployments. They have limited networks (
> like only carriers and no eyeballs) and very expensive connectivity
> (usually)
>
> Thank you in advance sharing your experience

As a submarine operator that "sometimes" sells co-lo space, in most
cases, it would be because of a lack of choice.

Every time a proper, carrier-neutral data centre has sprung up near the
CLS, it becomes the natural place to deploy.

Take Mombasa, for example. For a long time, the only co-lo facilities
were CLS's. A new, carrier-neutral facility popped up, and we are
encouraging all of our customers to either go there (new) or spill into
there (if they want to expand).

As a submarine cable operator, it's no fun running a CLS like a data
centre. AC power, for example, is not generally standard. Space is
limited. Access controls are different from normal data centre
procedures. Manning by technical staff may not always be 24/7. I could
go on.

But, if you have no choice, and the CLS isn't trying to milk you for all
your worth, then by all means.

Mark.