Disney+ Streaming

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Tue Nov 26 09:54:33 UTC 2019

On 12/Nov/19 22:36, Brian J. Murrell wrote:

> I actually suspect streaming is going to decline (at least in
> comparison to where it could have grown to) if this streaming service
> fragmentation continues.
>
> I think people are going to reject the idea that they need to subscribe
> to a dozen streaming services at $10-$20/mo. each and will be driven
> back the good old "single source" (piracy) they used to use before 1
> (or perhaps 2) streaming services kept them happy enough to abandon
> piracy.
>
> The content providers are going to piss in their bed again due to
> greed.  Again.

This!

At the beginning of this year, I dumped Prime Video because while I
initially got it for "The Grand Tour", almost all the other content was
not available in Africa. Didn't see the point of shelling out over
US$100/year for just one show, especially since we already have Netflix
+ a local linear pay TV service.

I bought the wife a new iPhone 11 Pro earlier this month. This got us
1-year's worth of free AppleTV+. Not a lot of content so far, but I hear
the same about Disney+. Granted 2 of the 3 shows on TV+ are not bad. But
it's free, so what the heck.

I'm not keen on paying for more than one streaming service, if I'm
honest. There already isn't enough time in the world for regular life,
never mind watching one streaming service... now we have to deal with
more, each with their own price? Not sure how well the streaming
providers expect regular folk to take all of this fragmentation.

As my daughter would say, "They can miss me with it :-)".

Mark.