Question about normal ops - BGP Flaps nightly

Christopher Morrow morrowc.lists at gmail.com
Fri Nov 22 00:20:07 UTC 2019

On Fri, Nov 22, 2019 at 12:54 AM Tom Beecher <beecher at beecher.cc> wrote:

> I agree that this sounds like an automated process in some way.
>
> I would suspect that either a vendor code update changed something such that a given command that would not cause session reset now does, or they changed their automation to include a command that would cause a reset without realizing it/slipped through the cracks / etc.

thanks to some private chat with another nanog participant it was
noted the reason for failure is:
  "Error event Operation timed out(60) for I/O session - closing it"

This is fine, I suppose, except that I have v4/v6 sessions on the same
ptp link/path. So, if v6 times out I'd have expected v4 to also
timeout.
Strangely I had thought we were told the 2 links we have land on 2
different devices, but router-id tells me that's false as well. :(
The sessions appear to reset on both devices (according to syslog) at
the same time, I had thought (because our alerter is telling me) the
sessions had a gap between the 2 drops.

The physical payer is some bidi fiber path across an L2 (ether)
network to the provider, perhaps the problem isn't on the l3/bgp parts
here, but in the l2 network between. we are at the end of our time
here so I think I'll gather some logs and see if the provider can make
sense of the issues.