Question about normal ops - BGP Flaps nightly

Christopher Morrow morrowc.lists at gmail.com
Thu Nov 21 09:45:56 UTC 2019

Howdy!
A question of interest to me, currently, is whether it's normal for
providers to cause BGP flaps to their customers nightly... This seems,
in my case, to be the provider PROBABLY updating prefix-filters on my
session(s).

Particularly AS56554 is currently getting v4/v6 transit from 2
providers, one of which we have 2 links toward. That provider appears
to flap both of our ipv6 (only) bgp peers each night at about the same
time each night. This smells like: "filter updates', but something
that's different than the v4 filter update? (or perhaps they have no
v4 filtering to update?)

In the end, should customers expect nightly (or on a regular cadence)
to see their sessions bounce? It hasn't been my experience in other
situations...

-chris