Hulu thinks all my IP addresses are "business class", how to reach them?

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Wed Nov 20 21:25:13 UTC 2019

On Wed, Nov 20, 2019 at 12:32 PM Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
> The problem here is that identifying class members is very hard (most
class members wouldn’t realize why they were not getting Hulu, and Hulu
probably either quickly corrects the problem on their end or blames the
ISP), meaning they wouldn’t realize their ability to join the class.

> As an individual customer, Hulu will refund your money and tell you to
piss off. That’s about all you’re likely to recover in the court case, too.

> As an ISP, there might be something there, but, you’d have to prove that
you had a significant number of customers that left for that specific
reason and you’d have to show the actual damages that resulted. Easy to
estimate, very hard to prove.

This is why you don't go after Hulu. You go after the content owners who
conspired to compel Hulu to limit distribution in a way that tortiously
interferes with your contract with your eyeball customers. Then, before
you've spent much money (filing lawsuits and notifying the defendants only
costs in the hundreds of dollars), you suggest to their respective counsels
that they didn't actually intend to exclude your customers and that if Hulu
weren't so reckless in their implementation you'd be inclined to drop the
matter.

--
William Herrin
bill at herrin.us