Hulu thinks all my IP addresses are "business class", how to reach them?

Blake Hudson blake at ispn.net
Wed Nov 20 18:40:00 UTC 2019

Owen DeLong wrote on 11/20/2019 11:51 AM:

>> On Nov 20, 2019, at 07:38 , Tom Beecher <beecher at beecher.cc
>> <mailto:beecher at beecher.cc>> wrote:
>>
>>     Never did figure out if it was stupidity
>>     or malice driving that.
>>

>> Personally I think it's neither; it's just $$$$$.
>>
>> They could invest in a robust system to accurately identify what they
>> chose not to allow to access the service. Or, they can choose to run
>> with a 'close enough' system with some legitimate users caught in the
>> middle.
>>
>> They've most likely done the math and decided that the revenue lost
>> from people getting caught up in inaccurate blocking is small enough
>> that the investment in a more accurate method isn't worth it. This is
>> unfortunately the more common decision in this age of worship at the
>> Altar of Maximum Shareholder Value.
>
> I think you are exactly right here. It’s yet another example of how
> the incentives around DRM are all messed up and are creating economic
> bias in favor of screwing consumers as much as possible without
> loosing too much revenue.
>
> What is needed is either a more conscientious consumer base that will
> see this and react by voting with their wallets, or, regulation which
> provides more costly penalties for screwing over legitimate consumers.
>
> Owen

I suppose a Hulu subscriber could dispute the charge or file a suit
(class action?) for damages: "Hulu took my money, but didn't provide the
services they advertised." As an ISP, some of us might even be in a
position where we encounter losses due to Hulu's (mis)classification
resulting in customers moving to the competition; I would think that
would be sufficient grounds for a suit.