Level(3) DNS Spoofing All Domains

Cary Wiedemann carywiedemann at gmail.com
Tue Nov 19 15:48:30 UTC 2019

Wow, news to me, and it's worse than you thought.  They're spoofing

langsam:~# whois unregistereddomaintest.com | head -1
No match for "UNREGISTEREDDOMAINTEST.COM".

langsam:~# dig +short a unregistereddomaintest.com @4.2.2.2
23.202.231.167
23.217.138.108

langsam:~# dig +short a unregistereddomaintest.mil @4.2.2.2
23.202.231.167
23.217.138.108

I can't get an NXDOMAIN result from 4.2.2.2 at all.

Good to know.  Time to reconfigure 10,000 firewalls.

Thank you Lawrence.

- Cary Wiedemann