Recommended DDoS mitigation appliance?

Tom Hill tom at ninjabadger.net
Mon Nov 18 14:03:24 UTC 2019

On 18/11/2019 13:50, Mike Hammett wrote:
> I would like the list to know that not all targets attract such large
> attacks. I know many eyeball ISPs that encounter less than 10 gig
> attacks, which can be reasonably absorbed\mitigated. Online gamers
> looking to boot someone else from the game aren't generally committing
>>100 gigs of resources to an attack.

There are two very good reasons to use 'surgical' amounts of traffic in
attacks:

 1. Concealing the size of your botnet

 2. Reducing the damage to the end user's ISP, and thus reducing the
likelihood that they escalate the attack to the authorities (because
who's got the time to do that for an individual subscriber?)

The shift to "just enough to knock the customer off without killing the
whole network" happened around ~2015 in my capacity, at least.

--
Tom