Landing Stations used as datacenter

Sean Donelan sean at donelan.com
Fri Nov 15 03:18:30 UTC 2019

On Thu, 14 Nov 2019, Mehmet Akcin wrote:
> I am not a big fan of CLS deployments. They have limited networks ( like
> only carriers and no eyeballs) and very expensive connectivity (usually)

Sometimes there isn't a choice, i.e. islands or other constrained
geographies.  But I am not a fan of combining cable landing stations and
datacenters/internet exchange points either.

I always want my IXPs and data centers to be connected to multiple cable
systems, again maybe constrained by geographic concerns.  I've also found
the construction requirements of landing stations and data centers to be
different.  You almost always end up compromising one or the other when
you combine them.

Nevertheless, there are some countries and islands with only one landing
station, and not enough domestic eyeballs to support major infrastructure
deployment. It might be better than nothing in those cases, but I would
always prefer something else.  None of those places would be in my top 20
list for deploying anything.  Maybe if I needed to reach 120+ countries.