Disney+ Streaming

Bryan Holloway bryan at shout.net
Wed Nov 13 12:56:37 UTC 2019

On 11/13/19 1:06 PM, Niels Bakker wrote:
> * mikebolitho at gmail.com (Mike Bolitho) [Wed 13 Nov 2019, 12:05 CET]:
>> This has gone well beyond out of scope of the NANOG list. Discussing who
>> watches what kind of content has nothing to do with networking. Can you
>> guys take the conversation elsewhere?
>
> On the contrary.  This discussion informs eyeball networks' capacity
> planning requirements for the upcoming years.
>
> It'd be nice to go from anecdata to data, though.
>

>      -- Niels.

Indeed ... as an eyeball network, this is all very relevant.

Another aspect that hasn't been mentioned in this thread (I think), is
that besides there being a potential saturation of streaming services,
there's also the backroom dealings between content and content-providers.

Here's some data: Netflix just lost "Friends", one of its most popular
offerings (and probably more than a blip on my bandwidth graphs) to HBO
Max. This is but one example, but, as a whole, stuff like this is very
important for capacity-planning.

Not saying it's gonna happen, but if Disney "lost" the Star Wars
franchise to, say, Amazon, you better believe there are likely to be
traffic shifts. (Yes, I know they own it.)