Disney+ Streaming

Wayne Bouchard web at typo.org
Tue Nov 12 22:05:45 UTC 2019

On Tue, Nov 12, 2019 at 04:52:25PM -0500, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> On Tue, 2019-11-12 at 12:53 -0800, Matthew Petach wrote:
> > Different target audiences.
>
> That are already satisfied with existing services, so no new target
> audiences.
>
> > Now the parents can be watching "Good Omens" or "Game of Thrones" on
> > Netflix while the kids are streaming "The Lion King" on Disney+
> > streaming.
>
> But they could watch lots of (Disney even) content on Netflix already.
> So I still don't see an increase in consumption just because of
> Disney+.
>
> > Instead of the whole family watching one show together, now we have
> > segmentation in the marketplace.
>
> Disney+ doesn't change "whole family watching one show together" (or
> not -- because individuals watching their own streams is already
> possible) model from the current model.
>
> Cheers,

I agree with this. I mean, it might bring on a few new streaming
viewers but these would be those who haven't yet transitioned to
streaming video for the majority of their watching habits. So this
won't really establish a new audience but it could help siphon more
away from cable/sattelite. Its just the equivilant of a new channel
coming along. One person can only practically watch one show at a time
(maybe doesn't apply to football games...) so if there's a given
audience size, all this really does is shuffle the ratings around a
bit.

As to the "$10-20/mo for eight different services", I tend to think
that people are gonna rebel at some point and seek out some sort of a
centralized service and we'll kinda be back to where we started, with
each source getting payment for the specific program viewed. Hard to
tell, but the fragmentation thing will start to come to the forefront
before too much longer, IMO.

-Wayne

---
Wayne Bouchard