all major US carriers received text messages overnight that appear to have been sent around Valentine's Day 2019

Valdis Kl=?utf-8?Q?=c4=93?=tnieks valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu
Fri Nov 8 21:08:17 UTC 2019

On Fri, 08 Nov 2019 11:23:17 -0800, Jared Geiger said:

> What likely happened is that messages were queued on host to go out, SMPP
> binds go down, queue fills up, host crashes. Then someone realizes the host
> is down and brings it back up and the queue empties when the load is low.

What I've seen happen more often than that:

Server goes partly belly-up, queue fills up.  Backup process runs, backing up the
queue. (Optionally here: Reboot the server and lose the queue).  Much later, the
server hits another issue that requires recovering from backups - and they restore
a truly ancient copy.

I recently got a replay of a bunch of email messages from 2002.  I admit not at all
understanding what procedure failures (multiple) resulted in reloading a mail spool
from 2002.