DoD IP Space

Töma Gavrichenkov ximaera at gmail.com
Tue Nov 5 14:43:20 UTC 2019

Peace,

On Tue, Nov 5, 2019, 4:55 PM David Conrad <drc at virtualized.org> wrote:
> On Nov 4, 2019, at 10:56 PM, Grant Taylor via NANOG <nanog at nanog.org> wrote:
>> This thread got me to wondering, is there any
>> legitimate reason to see 22/8 on the public
>> Internet?  Or would it be okay to treat 22/8
>> like a Bogon and drop it at the network edge?
>
> Given the transfer market for IPv4 addresses,
> the spot price for IPv4 addresses, and the need
> of even governments to find “free” (as in
> unconstrained) money, I’d think treating any
> legacy /8 as a bogon would not be prudent.

It has been said before in this thread that the DoD actively uses this
network internally.  I believe if the DoD were to cut costs, they
would be able to do it much more effectively in many other areas, and
their IPv4 networks would be about the last thing they would think of
(along with switching off ACs Bernard Ebbers-style).  With that in
mind, treating the DoD networks as bogons now makes total sense to me.

--
Töma