Re: Russian government’s disconnection test

Nick Hilliard nick at foobar.org
Sat Nov 2 23:33:56 UTC 2019

Sean Donelan wrote on 02/11/2019 19:32:
> Has anyone compared the network resiliancy and reliability in countries
> with centralized control with similar situated countries with
> decentralized networks?

US-EU connectivity is curious.  E.g. how many active transatlantic EU-US
cable systems are there?  How many active transatlantic cable systems
are there which are less than 15 years old?  How many active
transatlantic cable systems are there which are less than 15 years old
and which don't pass through the UK, which will be outside the EU in a
couple of months time?  How many planned new US-EU cable systems
terminate solely in the UK?

Answers: 19, 3, 2, 0.

> I agree with Fred, but trying to keep this on a technical list.

International connectivity is intrinsically linked to both politics and
economics - always has been.

Nick