Re: Russian government’s disconnection test

Sean Donelan sean at donelan.com
Sat Nov 2 19:32:37 UTC 2019

On Fri, 1 Nov 2019, Fred Baker wrote:
> This has nothing to do with cables, and everything to do with
> information control and politics.

I agree with Fred, but trying to keep this on a technical list.

Has anyone compared the network resiliancy and reliability in countries
with centralized control with similar situated countries with
decentralized networks?

For example, various developing countries have been doing deals to build
out network infrastructure which follow the Great Firewall approach to
network architecture.  I'm not certain if its always a deliberate
decision, but often the economics of Walled Garden networks make them
attractive.

There are enough developing countries around the world doing this, it
should be possible to measure differences in reliability between
countries.