Re: Russian government’s disconnection test

John Von Essen john at essenz.com
Fri Nov 1 23:13:32 UTC 2019

I guess if all telecoms and carriers in Russia (or say China) are under strong government control/oversight, its fairly easy from a technology standpoint to block the outside world.

The thing that I always wonder about is the ability for citizens to bypass the restriction via satellite internet nowadays. I guess they need a law to make that illegal too, if found purchasing satellite internet gear, off to the gulag!

On the other hand, if Russia disconnected from the outside world, how would all their trolls and bot farms get any work done?