Flexible OTN / fractional 100GbE

Tom Hill tom at ninjabadger.net
Wed May 29 13:18:27 UTC 2019

On 28/05/2019 11:41, Jérôme Nicolle wrote:
> I'm looking for a muxponder that would take OTU4s on the network side
> and provide 10/40/100GbE on the client side, with some kind of
> oversubscription, as to provide a "fractional 100GbE" e.g. starting with
> 30-60Gbps commit that could be upgraded to 100GbE when network capacity
> is available.

When I was looking at something like this, this time last year, I got as
far as Packet Light:

https://www.packetlight.com/products/100g-200g-dwdm-transport/200g-single-wavelength-muxponder

A big part of my usecase was reselling the spare capacity, so I really
didn't want anything learning MACs at either end. :)

> I've read that Broadcom' StrataDNX (Qumran / Jericho) chips have OTN
> support in addition to ethernet now, is there some vendor who leverages
> this, preferably with OCP gear ?

Unsure about those product lines, but I believe the Facebook (Adva?)
"Voyager" fits the 'open' bill. Here's a PDF specific to running Cumulus
on it:

  https://cumulusnetworks.com/documents/553/2018-03-07_DS_Voyager.pdf

HTH,

--