Power cut if temps are too high

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed May 29 02:56:26 UTC 2019

It’s unlikely to apply to much of anything in a datacenter other than disks.

The reason it applies to disks is because rapid cooling of a drive will lead to uneven cooling of the platters which may cause abnormal stresses leading to shattering and/or warpage (depending on the material the drive platters are made from).

Most electronic components can tolerate a pretty steep thermal curve in either direction so long as the curve doesn’t take them out of spec one way or the other.

Also, most circuit boards and the like do not have enough mass to surface area ratio to lead to significant temperature differentials within a small physical distance.

Owen