Free Program to take netflow

Jason Lixfeld jason+nanog at lixfeld.ca
Wed May 22 13:12:35 UTC 2019

I loved using ElastiFlow, but we didn’t quite work out in the end.  Here’s my $0.02 -

- ElastiFlow setup is easy-ish.
- ELK setup is easy-ish.
- Scaling ELK is not easy unless you know what you’re doing.

If you’ve got enough flows that you need to scale ELK, you’re probably also using multiple flow exporters, at which point this[1] could bite you and if ELK scaling was hard for you, dealing with this might not be trivial until Rob decides how best to bake a fix into EF.

I learned ELK because I wanted to use EF, but I only learned enough about ELK to get me by.  Having to also learn about REDIS and having to learn more about ELK to make it work with REDIS and EF was a show stopper; I just didn’t have the time.

[1] https://github.com/robcowart/elastiflow/issues/205