BGP prefix filter list

Blake Hudson blake at ispn.net
Mon May 20 15:35:23 UTC 2019

Gracias Alejandro, I had never considered anti-hijack, anti-DoS, or RTBH
advertisements in this equation. Another knock against filtering based
on prefix size is that it may not have the intended outcome on some
platforms. As I recall reading about one vendor's platform (the ASR9k
perhaps?) and its TCAM organization process, it stored /32 routes in a
dedicated area for faster lookups and did the same for /24 routes. If
one were to remove just the /24 routes from their RIB, the result would
free up space in the storage area dedicated for /24's, but would
consequently put more pressure on the areas reserved for prefixes
between /0 and /23 as covering routes are installed into FIB. The result
of removing /24's from the RIB on this platform would, unintuitively,
put the user in a worse position with regard to TCAM utilization - not a
better one.

If one is going to filter routes from his or her router's RIB, doing so
based on subnet size seems to be a poor way. Doing so based on AS depth
(your second solution) has fewer disadvantages in my opinion. As others
have mentioned, there are even more intelligent ways of filtering but
they rely on outside knowledge like cost, bandwidth, delay, or the
importance to your customers of reaching a given destination - stuff not
normally known to BGP.