DHCPv6-PD relay route injection - standard?

Brandon Martin lists.nanog at monmotha.net
Sun May 19 05:32:37 UTC 2019

On 5/18/19 4:45 AM, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:
> The area of how the router on the LAN gets the DHCPv6-PD route injected never was standardized because consensus couldn't be reached on how to do it, so it was glossed over and vendors solved it the way they saw fit. I've seen implementations where no route was injected (to customer astonishment of course becase it's useless without this), so this is functionality that needs at least some kind of specification.

I'll keep my eye out for it.

I guess my impression from RFC8415 was that it was up to the network administrator and their equipment vendor to resolve this.  Certainly, I wouldn't have expected automatic route injection, though having such a feature available is of course really nice.  Some sort of standard behavior for it is preferable if it's going to be implemented.

My punt in the absence of support for it on my platform (I'm arguing to get it implemented) was to inject the route via BGP from the DHCP lease database.  That's very flexible, but it's also a heck of a lot more work of course.
--
Brandon Martin