DHCPv6-PD relay route injection - standard?

Radu-Adrian Feurdean nanog at radu-adrian.feurdean.net
Sat May 18 06:33:20 UTC 2019

On Wed, May 15, 2019, at 04:28, Brandon Martin wrote:
> Is there a standard that defines/recommends behavior for route injection
> of snooped DHCPv6-PD (or IA, I guess) assignments on routers running
> relay agents?  That is, snooping or otherwise examining a relayed DHCPv6
> response for a delegated prefix (or IA, if you want) and installing a
> quasi-static route toward the relevant next-hop based on the lifetime of
> the delegation.  Typical redistribution can then be used to put it in
> IGP if you want.

This feature is usually found packed with the BNG/BRAS/broadband termination functionality. The keyword you need to search is "subscriber". The feaure pack is usually subject to additional licensing. Cisco, Juniper, Nokia/ALU, all have product ranges supporting that.

Those being said, I'm interested in how that feature is supported on gear that is not "subscriber-aware" (you were talking about Arista), since generating routing information from relayed DHCP(v6) is a big/important part of the "subscriber management" functionality.

--
R-A.F.