DHCPv6-PD relay route injection - standard?

Tim Howe tim.h at bendtel.com
Fri May 17 18:41:44 UTC 2019

On Tue, 14 May 2019 22:27:09 -0400
Brandon Martin <lists.nanog at monmotha.net> wrote:

> Is there a standard that defines/recommends behavior for route injection
> of snooped DHCPv6-PD (or IA, I guess) assignments on routers running
> relay agents?  That is, snooping or otherwise examining a relayed DHCPv6
> response for a delegated prefix (or IA, if you want) and installing a
> quasi-static route toward the relevant next-hop based on the lifetime of
> the delegation.  Typical redistribution can then be used to put it in
> IGP if you want.
>
> It seems to be a common feature - Cisco ("Relay Agent Notification" on
> IOS-XE), Juniper ("DHCPv6-PD Route injection" on JunOS), and Arista
> ("ipv6 dhcp relay install routes" on EOS), and Ruckus ("Relay Agent
> Prefix Delegation Notification" on FastIron) all seem to support it.
>
> Google has, however, failed me at finding any standard that defines or
> recommends corresponding behavior.  RFC 8415 punts on the issue:

	I went through that same search a little over a year ago.  I'm
curious if you got any off-list replies of interest.  We use dhcpv6
relay on Juniper ACX5048 (should be same on MX series).  It did not
work out of the box for me; Juniper had to fix a fundamental way it
worked in order to work with some clients (pretty much anything
Broadcom based at least).  I'm running working code now (17.4R2.4).  I
was very pleased Juniper took the problem so seriously and fixed it...
That hasn't been my experience with every vendor.

	I can provide some info about how it works and what "working"
looks like if you are curious.  Getting native dual-stack fully working
has been a long, strange road as a small ISP.  I'm thinking about
writing something up about my experience so far.

--TimH