BGP prefix filter list

Tom Beecher beecher at beecher.cc
Wed May 15 19:20:42 UTC 2019

At a previous company , about 10-ish years ago, had the same problem due to
equipment limitations, and wasn't able to get dollars to upgrade anything.

The most effective thing for me at the time was to start dumping any prefix
with an as-path length longer than 10. For our business then, if you were
that 'far away' , there wasn't any good reason for us to keep your route.
Following default was going to be good enough.

It's still a reasonable solution I think in a lot of cases to filter out a
lot of the unnecessary prepend messes out there today.