Cisco Crosswork Network Insights - or how to destroy a useful service

Dale W. Carder dwcarder at es.net
Wed May 15 17:58:24 UTC 2019

Thus spake Job Snijders (job at ntt.net) on Wed, May 15, 2019 at 12:16:06PM +0200:

> I recognise the issue you describe, and I'd like to share with you that
> we're going down another road. Nowadays, RIPE NCC offers a streaming API
> ("RIS Live") which has the data needed to analyse and correlate BGP
> UPDATES seen in the wild to business rules you as operator define.
>
> NTT folks are working on https://github.com/nlnog/bgpalerter/ - which
> relies on "RIPE RIS Live", this software should become a competitive
> replacement to current BGP monitoring tools. Stay tuned, the software
> will be more useful in the course of the next few weeks.

Similarly, one can integrate CAIDA's BGPStream Broker Service[1] into
their own tools.  Like bgpalerter above, working with open source or
rolling your own tools is increasingly straightforward[2] due to these
community projects.

Another viable project to keep an eye on is ARTEMIS[3] for monitoring.

Dale

[1] https://bgpstream.caida.org/data
[2] https://github.com/dwcarder/bgpwatch
[3] https://www.inspire.edu.gr/artemis/