NTP for ASBRs?

Royce Williams royce at techsolvency.com
Thu May 9 07:23:18 UTC 2019

On Wed, May 8, 2019 at 11:12 PM Eric S. Raymond <esr at thyrsus.com> wrote:

> Chris Adams <cma at cmadams.net>:
> > Once upon a time, Royce Williams <royce at techsolvency.com> said:
> > > The La Crosse 404-1235UA-SS UltrAtomic (not affiliated, just a fan)
> tracks
> > > DST - and even leap seconds. They have much better reach than previous
> > > similar clocks.
> >
> > Looks like somebody finally brought a clock to market that uses the
> > new-format phase-modulated signal.  Hopefully there'll be more, but with
> > the WWVB funding threats, I wouldn't be surprised if companies don't
> > want to invest in any new products that use it.
>
> Interesting - first device I've heard of that uses the new-format
> fine modulation, and as NTPsec's tech lead I keep as close an eye on such
> developments as anybody.
>
> Before this I had thought that a combination of clock vendors feeling
> burned by
> the modulation change and cheap GPSes entirely killed the market for
> devices that
> can get high-precision time from WWBV.
>
> Anybody know of anything fitting that description that you might want
> to deploy in a data center as a Stratum 1? If such a creature exists I
> shall
> contrive to get my lunch hooks on one and write a driver for it.

That would be fantastic. I mentioned it on Freenode when it first came out
- but it may have escaped your attention. :)

An eBay search for "EverSet ES100 WWVB BPSK Phase Modulation Receiver Kit"
should prove fruitful. I have one - but I haven't had time to tinker with
it yet.

The kit comes with the double-antenna setup that appears to be key to the
improved reception. In the clocks, the antennas are at 90 degrees relative
to each other.

Royce