EXERCISE: 2019 IAA Planetary Defence Conference - Day 5 Scenario

Rich Kulawiec rsk at gsp.org
Thu May 9 01:52:05 UTC 2019

On Wed, May 08, 2019 at 10:11:10AM -0400, Sean Donelan wrote:
> Many exercise designers could use help coming up with useful Internet
> disaster sub-plots.  Bad enough to inject stress into the exercise, but not
> extinction.
>
> All ISP tech support agents are infected, and become brain eating zombies.

We call that "Tuesday".

---rsk

p.s. On a more serious note, disaster exercises that include partial
failures of emergency response infrastructure are often quite challenging.
As I write this, the IT infrastructure of Baltimore is down due to
a ransomware attack.  As a consequence, while 911 is functional,
fire department computers are down.  If a significant event requiring
BCFD happened tonight, it would be challenging for them to coordinate
a large-scale response.