Routing issues to AWS environment.

John Von Essen john at essenz.com
Wed May 8 20:54:36 UTC 2019

I was just about to email the group for a related issue.

We are also seeing some funky routing/peering within the AWS network.

We primarily communicate with Verizon Media/Oath - AS10310. Verizon Media has a presence in Singapore, and its peered locally with AWS AS38895 - we normally see 8ms latency. Verizon Media also peers with AWS AS16509 in Japan, but for Singapore traffic, Verizon Media sends a lower MED so AWS Singapore should prefer that route/peer, but its not working properly on the AWS side, all of our traffic is going to Japan, this started early AM today.

I had Verizon Media investigate, and we gave them our AWS Singapore IP addresses, they confirmed that they are not receiving those prefixes/announcements from AWS Singapore (AS38895).

So something is broke…. hopefully if someone from AWS is reading they can escalate.

In my case, the AWS Singapore IP ranges in question are : 46.51.216.0/21 and 52.74.0.0/16

-John