EXERCISE: 2019 IAA Planetary Defence Conference - Day 5 Scenario

Sean Donelan sean at donelan.com
Wed May 8 14:11:10 UTC 2019

On Tue, 7 May 2019, Haudy Kazemi wrote:
> For any hit, a lot depends on impactor size. With an impactor of the size
> that took out the non-avian dinosaurs...the site of impact probably won't
> matter to us if humanity is unable to deflect it.

I understand the intent.  Earth is still a single point of failure.

For disaster exercise planning purposes, extinction level events don't
make for very interesting game-play. The disaster game-play is over by
Monday afternoon, and the rest of the exercise week is a bust. The white
team is forced to roll-back time and raise civilization from the ashes
to continue with rest of the week.  That's why extinction level events are
generally used only in disaster planning study papers, not exercises.

Many exercise designers could use help coming up with useful Internet
disaster sub-plots.  Bad enough to inject stress into the exercise, but
not extinction.

All ISP tech support agents are infected, and become brain eating
zombies.