Widespread Firefox issues

Royce Williams royce at techsolvency.com
Sat May 4 16:02:37 UTC 2019

On Sat, May 4, 2019 at 7:40 AM Royce Williams <royce at techsolvency.com>
wrote:

> On Sat, May 4, 2019 at 7:32 AM Keith Medcalf <kmedcalf at dessus.com> wrote:
>

>> I will stick to the "clearly false" since it is now well to the point
>> where we are in 2019-05-04 (even in local UT1, let alone UTC), studies are
>> disabled (and have been since forever), no studies have been loaded, and my
>> extensions still work quite fine, thank-you.  Attempting to install a "new"
>> extension fails with a "bad signature" error.
>>

> Here's something interesting - a few times now, I've told Firefox to
> enable Studies and then restarted ... but the Studies setting reverted to
> being unchecked.
>
> Maybe one of my other paranoia-enabling extensions is toggling it off ...
> but if so, I haven't found it yet. Still investigating.

Even stranger, I can manually toggle 'app.shield.optoutstudies.enabled' in
about:config ... and *that* persists across reboots ... but Studies *still*
aren't enabled (the about:preferences item is still unchecked, and the
"about:studies" area still indicates that they're disabled).

There's definitely something weird about enabling/disabling studies.

FWIW, this is 64-bit 66.0.3 on Ubuntu, and it's an instance of Firefox that
had studies disabled before this issue emerged. On a very similar setup,
but one with a vanilla Firefox install that already had Studies enabled, I
can't recreate this symptom - even if I turn Studies off (either using the
GUI or with the about:config item).

Royce