Looking for audiovisual resources on Clos topologies

Ben Maddison benm at workonline.africa
Fri May 3 19:12:02 UTC 2019

________________________________
From: NANOG <nanog-bounces at nanog.org> on behalf of Valdis Klētnieks <valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu>
Sent: Friday, May 3, 2019 7:22:52 PM
To: Sadiq Saif
Cc: nanog at nanog.org
Subject: Re: Looking for audiovisual resources on Clos topologies

On Fri, 03 May 2019 13:08:55 -0400, Sadiq Saif said:
> I recently read a APNIC blog post about LINE's network redesign [0] into
> a Clos topology. That lead to me RFC7938 [1] which has a fairly minimal
> explanation of the topology design itself.

>From the APNIC blog:

"In the case of LINE's network, where all servers in the data centre are
identified by eBGP, more than 10,000 ASNs are required."

They've traded L2 VLAN complexity for L3 ASN complexity.  What's the old
saying in computer science?  "All problems can be solved by adding a level
of redirection"?

> https://blog.apnic.net/2019/05/03/simplicity-is-key-to-network-redesign-for-line/

Apparently, "simplicity" is the new euphemism for "let's push all the surprising
emergent effects of our design to someplace new..."