NTP question

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Thu May 2 14:59:10 UTC 2019

On Wed, May 1, 2019 at 7:03 PM Harlan Stenn <stenn at nwtime.org> wrote:

> It's not clear to me that there's anything *wrong* with using the pool,
> especially if you're using our 'pool' directive in your config file.

The one time I relied on the pool I lost sync a year later when all three
servers the configuration picked withdrew time services and the
still-running ntp client didn't return to the names to find new ones.
Wonderful if that's fixed now but the pool folks argued just as strongly
for using it back then.

Also, telling the security auditor that you have no idea who supplies your
time source is pretty much a non-starter. You can convince them of a lot of
things but you can't convince them it's OK to have no idea where critical
services come from.

That's what's wrong with the pool.

Regards,
Bill Herrin